What we see isn’t always what it is, sometimes we create our own reality. We choose to see only the big picture and look over the importance of the details. But truth and reality can only be found in the details.
A man looks into the mirror, he sees not himself
but how he is reflected
He sees his wife, discouraged and screaming at the kids
He sees his daughter, disrespectful and out of control
He sees his son, destructive and lashing out
He sees, himself
raining through the streets of my mind, a heavy downpour
uprooting, changing everything
pushing the debris of good sense past the empty alley of my worn subconscious
washing away the avenues of innocence
obstructing with fear the route I want to take
making me pull over and watch logic and reason pile up and get swept away
the rain continues to fall
1. I know if you spend more than you make, you’re broke.
2. I know nobody wants to hear you complain about being broke, because they’re broke too.
3. I know if you don’t get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep, you’ll end up with serious bags and dark circles
under your eyes.
4. I know concealer doesn’t work.
5. I know it takes longer to do nothing now than it used to, cause most times you cant remember what it
was you were not doing in the first place.
6. I know if an old school song comes on that lasts 7 minutes, you’ll only be able to dance for 45.03 seconds.
7. I know the noises you hear late night are just your bones and joints popping and locking.
8. I know what once was important makes no sense at all, and what once made no sense is really important.
9. I know the phrase” Children are a joy” has nothing to do with the one living in my house.
10. I know holidays especially Christmas roll around faster than they use to.
11. I know old folks used to say the stuff I hear myself saying now.
12. I know that high price doesn’t mean comfort.
13. I know most things don’t change you eventually grow out of it.
14. I know eyeglasses and keys are abducted by aliens and returned when we’re not looking.
15. I know that sometimes what you see is really what you get.
16. I know no matter how bad things seem, they could be worse.
17. I know 20/20 is t.v. show and not your eyesight past 30.
18. I know bacon is a drug.
19. I know with age comes wisdom, confidence, and self-control but not all at the same time and
never when you need them.
20. I know getting old is a gift.
On the winds of the morning, my heart cries
my spirit is restless, my soul is tired
If I were but an eagle souring high and proud
unable to hear my thoughts so loud…
The rain, my tears would hide
while fear of nothing fought with fear of everything so deep inside
Wild and free I would fly
acknowledging nothing and everything as I flew by
No restraints, no confines, none of the things that have me bound
For I would be free…free
But, that is not the case
the truth mocks me to my face
I am a canary in a gilded cage
embittered by circumstances, slowed down with age
Outwardly chirping and singing and oh, so spry
but inside I’m enraged, wishing I could fly
If I were but an eagle,
I would soar so high
I would soar so proud
to keep my thoughts from being so loud